Between 1941 and 1968, the Army Map Service was responsible for the publication and distribution of military topographic maps for use by U.S. military forces. Created from a merger of the Engineer Reproduction Plant and the Army’s Geographic Section, the AMS operated under the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The mission was to collect, catalog, and store foreign and domestic maps and map information required by the War Department. The organization also furnished maps needed for the General Staff and other authorized agencies. They compiled and reproduced maps for field forces’ initial operations and developed and improved mapping and map reproduction methods. According to Army historical documents, during World War II, the AMS produced some 500 million topographic maps.